they paid for apps are much quicker as gary sugested, however some
artwork processing is done by the server to give you artsizes not
precached during the scan . IPeng uses some of it's own sizes too

also if you turn of artwork precaching to make faster scans you pay in
this end instead . as the standard sizes are not in the cache (
artwork.db )
i supose art from already played tunes will apaear faster ?

also size matters reasonable sized jpg is the best compromise, bmp or
png is not a god idea it craves more memory and cpu to resize, 500*500
pixels jpg seems to satisfy most users.

IPeng processes any art SqueezePad may choke above 1200*1200 px I have
some insanely huge art just because I can ;)

people running SBS on quad core servers may not notice these sublte
differences, using a relatively ligth server I've noticed real
diferences in cpu use with for example SB3 that needs no art and
controlling My Touch with my Controller ( 2 squeezeplay devices needing
art at the same time ).

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad