bluegaspode;683557 Wrote:
> As a developer you can only use 'native' Ogg if you are using Androids
> inbuilt Media Player.
> But the inbuilt player doesn't give me enough control to implement the
> SlimProto protocol that the Squeezeboxes use. (I.e. I need the exact
> playback position, not just a rough estimate to support
> synchronisation).
> Gapless playback and full control over the audio buffers is also not
> possible with the inbuilt player.
>
> I'll recheck with Android 4 when it gained more market share, I think
> they changed the APIs that developers can use, so I might be able to
> use more of the inbuilt decoders.
>
> For streaming via 3G with high probability you'd have to activate
> bitrate limiting anyway, which will essentially convert all your tracks
> to mp3 on the fly (provided that your server is fast enough for mp3
> transcoding).
> Most servers are.

I see! And you were right. I had to enable the mp3 bitrate limter. And
everything works now. I had the problem that I have 64bit server, and
had to install the 32 compatibility lib to make the mp3 transcoding
work.

Since most (all?) of the hardware players support ogg vorbis now, I
wonder if it would not make sense to use ogg vorbis instead of mp3 (or
an alternative) for bit-rate limiting. If my understanding is correct,
vorbis is much better than mp3 at the same bitrate. I know ogg vorbis
is VBR, but average bitrate is still good enough for most I guess. I
know Spotify is using ogg vorbis. But this is not something that
squeezeplayer can control, of course. THis is an improvement proposal
for Squeezebox server.

--
andreas.kagedal