KMorgan;687768 Wrote:
> I love my Squeezeboxes, but it's only when you try to explain to someone
> how it all works that you realise that for the average bod it's all
> quite complex.
>
> A non-techy pal of mine visits and really enjoys using Squeezepad to
> browse Spotify and listen to anything he wants (well almost).  So, he
> gets an ipad and asks me 'how do I get this to do what yours does?'.
> Then it gets difficult. I try to explain about servers, plugins etc.,
> and get nowhere. My recommendation? Get an airport express, connect it
> to the aux-in of your Bose thing, load the Spotify app on your ipad,
> and off you go.
>
> One more airplay user, one more sale to Apple. One less squeezebox
> user, one less sale to Logitech. Pity.
>
> Keith
Yes, I am afraid you are spot on with this.  I think even Sonos will
not survive in the long term, despite it being arguably easier to set
up.

The only significant advantage Squeezebox has over Airplay and DLNA is
its ability to play different streams to different players and/or
synchronise players all from a single music server.

However, in most households each music system has a different user with
a different music collection.  My daughter is not interested in playing
my or my wife's music.  She is quite happy to download or rip her
Jessie J and Take That CDs on her laptop, transfer them to her iPod
touch and play that in her bedroom through her little £50 iPod dock.

It is quite nice for me to be able to synchronise the kitchen and
living room players, esp. for parties, but that is not a big enough
advantage to make it worth the hassle for most people.

Most households have an iPod per occupant and docks around the house
where music might be required.  They simply plug the 'pod in wherever
they want music.  Simples.

High fidelity? Most don't need or care for it.

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ (500GB) NAS running LMS 7.7.0 on SSODSmod
4.14
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.