erland;688275 Wrote:
> So which system/company do you feel have a more promising future over
> the next 5 years so you would be prepared to put your money on it ?
> Ease of setup, use and administration is the key.  The company that gets
all of that right will dominate the market in the long term.

IMHO the biggest Squeezebox failing in this regard is paradoxically
also one of its biggest attractions - a free "server" based on open
software, and all the betas, plugins, bugs  and continual development
that goes with it.

Slim Devices was a computer hardware / software company that went into
audio, and for that reason they have sought "computer" solutions to
most issues. Logitech are also a computer company although more
"consumer" oriented that SD.

Most of these networked media systems come primarily from this computer
background, including Apple, but I have a feeling the big winner will
eventually appear out of an audio/consumer electronics industry that
understands what the large majority of consumers want.

If it ever appears, the "killer" networked home audio server, which
will also be a home video system, will:
- be primarily a server, both hardware and software in one, fixed,
box. If they are clever it will have a proprietary network like Sonos.
- work straight out of the box exactly as advertised
- be a totally closed system with no upgrade or plugin options
- be 99% reliable with no crashes or bugs
- work for 5 years and be then binned to be replaced by the "latest
model" (just like your TV)
- have its own basic LCD screen and controls, but also be controllable
with iOS and Android apps.
- include an optical drive for CD ripping
- have limited functionality, providing just enough for most
situations
- will support various makes of player, but designed to work mainly
with its own brand of "players", speakers and TVs.
- will provide links to a limited range of internet radio, video and
music services (Spotify, netflix, iPlayer etc)

If Sonos were called "Sony", were half the price and included a server
of the type discussed above they would have this market sewn up.

If Logitech had developed the Touch to include a proper hardware server
then they would be closer.

In my opinion the failure of Logitech or Sonos to produce a "consumer
friendly" (aka "idiot proof") server is the main reason this has not
taken off.

The truck drivers, car mechanics, bank tellers, secretaries, school
teachers and airline pilots of this world will not want to (or cannot)
manage buggy software on a PC, leave it switched on all the time,
configure WOL, hack linux to install LMS on a NAS,  install plugins etc
etc.

They should be able to attach a pre-configured server to their router,
put a CD in their PC or laptop run a *very* simple setup routine and
transfer their music and video. The rest should be pressing buttons.

I would not want such a system, but 95% of the population would prefer
it.

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ (500GB) NAS running LMS 7.7.0 on SSODSmod
4.14
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.