I think such trends in the end are cyclical and transitory. It is also
merely an expression of the way stuff is marketed and current Zeitgesit
- which can change at the drop of a dime. :)

Furthermore, I think in this forum you have a somewhat distorted probe
of people in general. I think that it is the people that, in the past,
had a few sad albums on a neglected shelf (a scratched Best of Chicago
CD and such), those are the ones that now at least have access to more
stuff. They didn't buy much then, they certainly won't buy now, but at
least now they have access to more up to date music, and the industry
now can draw some steady if meager revenue from them.

The people that used to have over a thousand CDs and hundreds of albums
and cared for them lovingly, and played them on equipment they had
emotional attachment to... you find a lot of them in these forums, but
they weren't the majority 25 years ago nor will they ever be.

One could furthermore point out that while it seems an eternal and
unchanging truth that people's entire entertainment content naturally
belongs in an Amazon or iTunes cloud, that phenomenon is recent, and
immensely vulnerable to singular marketing mistakes or changing fortunes
of the companies involved.