dasmueller wrote:
> I for one am a dinosaur and will not willingly go the rental route.  I
> enjoy the flexibility of being able to do what I wish w the CD/hard
> copies or downloaded files that I have.  I am not willing to rely on
> someone else to provide that flexibility for me. There is too much flux
> in technology to make me comfortable that the landlord will be there
> tomorrow.

+1

I love the streaming model and use it extensively for checking out new
music.  However Spotify have yet to turn a profit and it is doubtful
that unlimited streaming for as little as $10 a month is sustainable in
the long term.  I think quite soon we may see sharp rises in the cost of
on-line music access combined with more rigorous enforcement against
"pirates".  In the UK P2P is already severely constricted by most IPs
making getting music through illegal torrents impractical.

I have also analysed the quality of the streams from Spotify as they
sometimes sound rather strange through my hi-fi, particularly when
compared with a CD rip of the same recording.  It is quite clear that
many streams are not 320kbs and pretty well all have dynamics squashed
through heavy compression.  Spotify sound is closer to low quality FM
Radio than CD.