Not recently, but I previously investigated Olive and it was very
limited as compared with Squeezebox, although much more expensive. And
to Pippin's point, I've seen nothing that comes close to the
functionality (including sync across players, an important feature for
me) combined with audio quality of the squeezeboxes AT ANY PRICE.  My
only real disappointment with Logitech is that they seem to have dropped
the ball with marketing of the Squeezebox line.

p.s. regarding portable devices, I can play anything on my LMS server or
streams via LMS to my iphones or ipads.