I envy those who feel content to let their Squeezeboxen plod along with
local access and limited functionality. Naturally those who are
concerned by the potential loss of online services are most likely to be
those who use them currently, but I think for many of us our
expectations are slightly different...

One of the things that initially appealed to me when I got my first SB
was the -extensibility-. When the first Squeezeboxes hit the shelves
there was little notion of online streaming services, social music
services and the like. The amazing thing about the Squeezebox line has
been it's ability to adapt to the changes in the way we listen to music,
and to allow existing SB owners to benefit from these changes.

Even now, Rhapsody and Spotify won't be the last word in online music
services and we're likely to see new and novel services appear in the
future as the music industry (finally) comes into the 21st Century.

What -has- changed now, is that we can't (smugly) rest on our laurels
knowing that our Squeezeboxes will reap the benefits of these changes,
thanks to a savvy purchase oh-so-many years ago and some funding that we
can't really claim our initial purchase to have supported.

My expectations of the Squeezebox remain the same, even in the face of
this news, but now we can't rely on Logitech to meet those expectations;
it falls to us as Squeezebox users. I would genuinely like to be
involved, in whatever small way, in keeping the Squeezebox alive.

Mostly because I'm buggered if I'm going to fork out for a replacement.