TheLastMan wrote:
> With the greatest respect, that is rather a daft statement.  Willingness
> to invest is one thing, *ability* to invest is entirely another.
> If you want to install a whole house audio system made by Sonos, you
> need a bit of cash lying around. Most people can afford a couple of iPod
> docks though.
>
> You are right to this extent, what kit people want or need to play their
> music the way that suits them has nothing to do with their income. But
> their ability to buy that kit certainly does.  The fact that your "one
> percenter" friends only buy iPod docks is because they don't want or
> need anything more expensive.  I bet there are few among your "ninety
> nine percenter" friends who would love to buy a high end system but
> cannot afford to do so.

No offense taken, but I really don't see the "daft" aspect of this
comment. I'm only referring in my statement to my "one percenter
friends" so they all, by definition, have the *ability* to invest in
something better than an ipod/dock.  When I say I don't see any
correlation, I'm only referring to the sample that I've personally dealt
with (my friends and acquaintances since the 1960s). That's the "I see"
part of my statement.

I do agree that there are certainly ninety-nine percenters that would
like better audio systems (and houses, cars, TVs, health care, education
for their kids, etc.) that don't have the ability to purchase what they
would otherwise prefer, given no wealth constraints.  That said, when I
was a poor graduate student, the most valuable assets I owned (including
auto) were related to my stereo, speakers, and turntable. I did without
many things to have better than average audio. But I also fully
understand that being a poor graduate student is not the same as being a
poor person in general (I was consuming better audio products while poor
but in the context of a "current low income person" with prospects of
much higher income.

Anyhow, I think we're agreeing on the point I was making (i.e., that
there are many people that want only a very basic music playback system,
even in situations where they are not particularly constrained).