AndrewFG wrote:
> Yes. I think there is a reason for this due to the nature of the UPnP
> HTTP streaming protocols.
>
> When a UPnP media Control Point starts pushing a hi-res stream, it first
> starts a transcoding process to convert (say) the original source format
> (say WAV or AIF) to FLAC on the fly, and at the say time it must start
> pushing the first few bytes of the stream to the player. In other words,
> it starts pushing the stream before it knows the final length of the
> stream.
>
> Now the nature of HTTP streaming is that the server must send an HTTP
> ContentLength header in its first response. But since it does not yet
> know the final length of the transcoded stream it must therefore offer a
> guessed value. In the case of FLAC, the easiest guess is ContentLength
> := Duration x Sample Rate x BytesPerSample x Channels x Compression
> Ratio. However when transcoding FLAC the Compression Ratio is variable
> depending on the content. Therefore very often such applications set the
> FLAC transcoder so it applies zero compression. That way, you can send
> ContentLength := Duration x Sample Rate x BytesPerSample x Channels x
> 1.0 at the start of the stream push process...

I may not understand the protocols that well, but I don't see what this
could have to do with your problem. Obviously the content-length won't
be correct, and since I've seen typical 16/44.1 material that can have
compression rates anywhere from 20% to 70%, the number can be wildly
off. Obviously, it must be unimportant or nothing would work at all.

Doesn't LMS itself use HTTP to stream, and didn't you say that the
players have no problems playing the same material streamed by LMS? Have
you examined whether or not it's your server that's unable to keep the
pipe filled?