Depending on the station, and I am listening to streams found via
internet radio search ranging from local to faraway NPR stations as well
as various AM stations, I can get anywhere from 30 seconds of buffer to
literally 7 or more minutes (All of LA Woman and more.)

This is a terrible behavior.

Either there should be 30 minutes or 60 minutes or two hours or any DVR
like amount of buffering,

OR

There should be none of this buffering for internet radio.

If I am listening to the radio for music, I don't want a song to end
abruptly in the middle and go on to the current song.

If I want to stop listening to the distracting/annoying talk show and
wait for the next show, I don't want to restart it and listen to the
annoying voice again, I want the new content.

As I've said before, I do not know how to STOP a stream.  I use an
Android App or the Web App and near as I can tell, neither has any
notion of clicking and holding.

On internet radio, the pause/play button should be a stop/play button.