Triode wrote:
> Touch is the only player which can play 192k streams and needs 7.8 if
> its wav.  If the requirement is to stream from another source on the
> local lan then I don't see why this will be any different from streaming
> from the LMS - the client code in squeezeplay is the same.  Clearly the
> server will need to be tuned with large max size send buffers etc but I
> don't see why another server app could not source the stream.

I have been doing some research:

LOCAL 96K OR 192K FLAC FILES SERVED BY LMS

- Radio, Squeezeplay:  LMS down samples using "flac.exe | sox.exe
$resample"; audio intelligible; no buffer stalls; I suppose ditto for
Duet, Squeezebox
- Transporter:  LMS just sends the file; audio is intelligible; no
buffer stalls; I suppose ditto for Touch

REMOTE 96K OR 192K STREAMS SERVED BY A 3RD PARTY SERVER

- Radio, Squeezeplay:  Audio intelligible; but there are frequent buffer
stalls; using direct streaming or indirect (proxy via LMS) makes no
difference
- Transporter:  A 96k the audio is intelligible; no buffer stalls; but
at 192k the output is white noise

I don't have a Touch so cannot test it.

Conclusions:

1) Apparently the newer players have DACs that can handle hi-res audio,
but they don't have the buffer capacity for it
2) One oddity is that Transporter can play a 192k Flac served by LMS but
it outputs white noise on a 192k Flac from a 3rd party server