tbessie wrote:
> After installing Orange Squeeze, I see it has several processes/services
> running, even when I'm not using it.  Is there any way to configure it
> to NOT have these running if the app is not running in the foreground? I
> hate it when apps run all the time like that.

First off, don't assume that a service running means that there is
anything happening or power drain from the process. It doesn't.

One service runs all the time: the power management service. It simply
receives notifications when the screen turns on and off, wifi comes up
and down, etc. There are no active running threads or connections
associated with this service and it will not take any cpu or draw any
power. There is no way to disable this although you could try
experimenting with task killers, etc. to kill it if you like. It won't
accomplish anything, but do what you like. It will break some of the app
behavior if this service is not running (specifically, power saving
features).

There is a second service and that maintains a connection to the server.
You absolutely need this if you use the widgets at all. If you don't use
the widgets and are OK with the connection being dropped every time
Orange Squeeze moves to the background (any task comes in front of it)
then you can set the connection timeout in the preferences to a very low
value. The default will have the service shut itself down after a minute
or two of the app being in the background (and no widgets).

My advice: before you spent too much time worrying about it, check your
device power management screen to see if the app is actually taking any
significant power. If it's not taking power, then it's also not slowing
your device down because cpu usage = power drain. You can only do these
tests if the device is running off battery, by the way.