db122 - Thanks for all the info!  I won't worry about the background
processes, and will just take your word for it.  You know, old
engineer's habit, suspicion of unknown processes. :-)

As for the connection issues - yeah, I've notice that my Galaxy Nexus
has been having WiFi connectivity issues; they seemed to have gotten
worse when I upgraded to Jelly Bean (and I've seen complaints about this
specific issue online).  I also upgraded my router's firmware around the
same time, so I didn't want to pin it on the phone only, but if others
have had WiFi problems with this device (dropouts when I'm just around
the corner from the router, for example), then that seems a likely
culprit.

I'll keep using Orange Squeeze and see if this keeps happening,
especially when I'm right next to the router.  If it does keep
happening, I'll turn on the log and send it to you.

Thanks again for your voluminous and helpful replies! :-)

- Tim