For me there is currently no alternative.

I have been researching this a bit.  Sure, there is Sonos.  But Sonos
doesn't have a server that runs on Linux, and it doesn't support
anything above redbook.  So all my 96/24 needledrops would have to be
down sampled.  Ugh.  Not only is that a lot of work, but losing all that
resolution is simply unacceptable.

I have read a bit about high end solutions from Olive, Meridian and
Linn.  Frankly, it's like no one in those companies has even heard of
Linux.  Is there any solution that runs on Linux?  And no, I don't want
to build a box...

Personally, I am seriously bummed out.  I only found out about
Squeezebox's demise today.

What's ironic (at least to me) is that I found out AFTER I ordered a
pair of UE900 in ear monitors.  Nothing like sending business to the
company that killed one of the things I hold most dear...