I have a problem with squeezeslave (I believe) failing to connect to any
audio device.

The squeezeslave in question is self-compiled i64-alsa-display version,
but I have also tried pre-compiled squeezeslaves of versions 1.2 and
1.1, all of which have the same problem.

I run a pretty vanilla Kubuntu with vanilla PulseAudio on top of vanilla
ALSA. squeezeslave -L takes a long while to output this list:

Code:
--------------------

  0: (ALSA) HDA Intel: VT1828S Analog (hw:0,0) (11/46)
  1: (ALSA) HDA Intel: VT1828S Digital (hw:0,1) (11/46)
  2: (ALSA) HDA Intel: VT1828S HP (hw:0,2) (11/46)
  3: (ALSA) sysdefault (42/42)
  4: (ALSA) front (11/46)
  5: (ALSA) surround40 (11/46)
  6: (ALSA) surround41 (11/46)
  7: (ALSA) surround50 (11/46)
  8: (ALSA) surround51 (11/46)
  9: (ALSA) surround71 (11/46)
  10: (ALSA) iec958 (11/46)
  11: (ALSA) spdif (11/46)
  12: (ALSA) pulse (11/46)
  13: (ALSA) dmix (42/42)
  *14: (ALSA) default (11/46)

In addition to the unspecified default, I have tried to connect to the
outputs 0, 3, 12 and 13, and they all display the same behavior:
Squeezeslave pauses for about 20 seconds (I presume it's trying to
connect to an audio device) and then exits.

(squeezeslave -I correctly identifies the server, and other Squeezeboxes
and software players connect to the server, so I assume that isn't the
problem)