ianu wrote:
> I was planning on running CAT5 to all players.  All devices will be
> built in and have dedicated amps/speakers so portability is not a
> requirement.  I suppose my biggest fear is support. How long will there
> be support for LMS (I understand it is open source), is there a large
> enough user base and community support to keep it alive?  I'd probably
> run LMS on a NAS device; what are the chances that will there be support
> for new NAS devices?  What happens if/when mysqueezebox.com disappears
> what functionality would I loose?
>
> Again thanks for your help.
>
> Ian

LMS can run forever as the software works now and can keep working as
long as you have a PC or NAS with an operating system that will run it.
And this is pretty trivial (a linux NAS box like a Vortexbox, etc.).
The Vortexbox Player (with at least 5 zones) can work forever
essentially for playing local music and internet radio.  And the
infrastructure you're putting in will work with dozens of possible
systems so you wouldn't be tied to LMS in the future if you didn't want
to be.

edit:  and run at least CAT5e, better yet CAT6