garym wrote:
> +1. That's why I use a headless server ( vortexbox) located in a back
> room closet. But *if* I wanted a ripper, file server, and player all in
> one box, the vortexbox already does all this.
>
> Edit:  but I'd definitely be interested in a player with a John Swenson
> designed DAC.

+1 why on earth would I want a server in the hifi rack , my server
resides under my desk in another room .

I'm on to for a player as guniea pig :) I'm quite tolerant re awkward
setups and bugs .and I can follow instructions read electrical drawings
and assemble stuff ,solder skills are a bit rusty never tried SMD
components ,but solder some cables and put the thing in a box , no
problem at all. I have an mobile eds kit so I would not have problems
with components sensitive to static .
( I used to repair frequency converters and DC drives for a living ).

It could run it as digital transport or analog in the kitchen or if a
hdmi implementation is ready I could try out hdmi .