What's the objective here?  Just to provide replacement hardware for
existing users or to grow the whole Squeezebox user-ship?

If the latter then I think you need to start with a self-contained
appliance.  I assume that everyone here is either running a server on
the likes of an NAS, a commercial server, a self-built server (including
me) or a desktop left switched on all the time.  That isn't likely to be
the profile of potential new users.  A device that simply plays streams
from a piece of kit the user doesn't have wouldn't make sense.  If
Logitech couldn't make money out of the product line I think the lack of
a ready-made server must have been a factor.

What would make sense to a wider potential user-ship would be a box
which looks like an existing piece of domestic electronics kit, allows
existing CD collections to be ripped and stored, acts as a front end for
on-line purchases, doesn't need mouse, keyboard or screen, allows
web-management of the collection and plays the collection through
existing audio kit.  That would be a useful piece of kit in its own
right and the potential to stream to other devices would be an add-on.

To some extent this sounds like the Vortexbox but in terms of a consumer
device I think Fedora is probably the wrong base.  Debian stable or a
RHEL clone would be better.  Or maybe even BSD.  Also I'm not sure what
tools Vortexbox provides for managing the collection.  On my own server,
because it runs headless, I use MPD plus an MPD web client that provides
tag editing and another web application for file management, neither of
which are as slick as I'd like nor are they integrated with each other
or with the Squeezebox server.  There's scope for extending the LMS or
whatever it's called this week (the constant name changes can scarcely
have helped sell the product) with such facilities.