I should have mentioned this in my earlier post in this thread.  I used
two different NASs as my Squeezebox server over the course of about 3
years, and then switched to a basic headless pc with an Intel Atom
processor for the past 4+ years, and I have to say that I find the
headless pc a far better solution. For about the same cost as one of the
NASs, the headless pc is better for running LMS(*), provides all the
same network backup functions as a regular NAS, is much easier when it
comes to installing LMS and plugins, and actually uses less electricity
by applying sensible power management. And if I need an extra pc in a
pinch I can always attach a monitor and keyboard and voilĂ .

(*) better for running LMS in the sense that LMS web ui is much faster
and database scans are much quicker. For streaming music to multiple SBs
(sync'd or unsync'd) the NASs and headless pc all do a fine job.