chill wrote:
> John, a couple of feature enquiries:
>
> - do you think that a future option for Gen1 might be an add on board
> that allows external digital inputs to this DAC, so we can treat this
> player as our system DAC as well?
> - will the chip's programmable DSP allow us to implement some kind of
> tone control/graphic equaliser and maybe even a full blown room
> correction filter?

External digital inputs is tough. If you mean an S/PDIF input, it
certainly can be done, the processor has receivers for this, but the
clocking becomes an issue. Whenever you receive a digital in you have to
worry about the clocking. I'm putting a fixed low jitter clock on this
board, so we have three choices for syncing an external S/PDIF input,
1; use the internal PLL which syncs to the incoming  stream, it will
work but the jitter is much worse than with our low jitter clock.
2; use the builtin ASRC to resample to our external clock.
3; go with the "do a lot of buffering" scheme and output using the  low
jitter clock.

With the large amount of memory available #3 is not hard to do, but you
will have significant latency issues. If you can live with the latency
#3 probably sounds the best.

On your second question, yes indeed, that was part of my plan all along,
that the DSP in the DAC chip could do equalizers DRC etc. There is one
problem,  it would just be for the  analog outs.

Looking carefully at the spec sheet I see the chip has an  I2S OUTPUT
that can be driven from various parts of the DSP system, so such filter
could be sent back  into the  processor and routed out other outputs.
This would probably be fairly  easy for S/PDIF since it uses the same
clock source as the DAC chip. But it's way complicated for USB out.  The
problem is that for an async  USB DAC the average  rate at which the
data goes out the  jack is controlled bythe DAC, NOT the low jitter
clock on our board. Using a DSP in the DAC chip is a realtime process
and it is going to be difficult to synchronize it to the rate the USB
subsystem is sending data to the USB DAC.

I suppose its theoretically possible to implement a second rate control
loop using one of the on chip PLLs to feed the data in and out of the
DAC chip, but that is getting pretty complicated.

That brings up another issue, I don't think it's possible  to have the
USB output going to an async DAC at the same time we are sending data to
the S/PDIF out or DAC chips. They are on separate clocks. No matter
which one is given control of the data rate of the stream, the  other is
going to click and pop, UNLESS we use the  ASRC or PLL route. \

There should be no problem having S/PDIF and analog outs going at the
same time since thay use the  same clock.

John S.