As ststed earlier in the thread (I know every body hasn't read the whole
thing!), I'm leaning on running external control interfaces over USB, it
makes the hardware and drivers much simpler.

For example IR receivers, IR blasters and Relay boxes all exist with USB
interfaces. Many of these come with linux drivers. I just did a quick
google of USB controlled relay boxes and found at least 20 of them, at
least half had linux support. I think this is a much better way to go
rather than building such things into our hardware.

How such things get integrated into the SB software framework is a whole
different issue. We haven't discussed that at all for this project. I
think I'm going to start a separate thread on that.

John S.