chill wrote:
> My thoughts precisely.
>
> Are attenuators being considered, to allow the output to go directly
> into a power amp?  If so, would these be part of the basic board, and
> would these then need to be duplicated on an add-on balanced board?
>
> PS: John, your board renders seem to be quite small images - any chance
> of some bigger, higher res renders?

I had much larger images, but when I addded them to the post the
software shrunk them.

Attenuators get complicated. The DAC chip can drive fairly low impedance
loads, BUT I don't know how well it does that. When designing an
attenuator you have a choice of the resistances used: go for low
resistance in order to have a low output impedance to drive anything,
but then your output circuit is ALWAYS driving a low impedance load, or
go with the higher resistance network which doesn't load the output as
much, and then risk not having enough drive for for some devices. It's a
tough decission.

A big part of the decission is how the output sounds under varying
loads, until it gets built and I have time to play with it I won't know
the answer to that.

John S.