While I am excited to see some plans about Open Source support for the
platform, on the other hand I am pragmatic and I guess I think a thread
on how to keep the SB investment going, longer term, in a constantly
evolving OS environment, can work.

I have a number of SB3, SB Boom, SB Touch and SB Radio, and truly like
the value proposition.

I am not sure when eventually the electronics would give out -they seem
well build- but if I consider another 10-15 years of lifetime before I
consider an alternative (not all that unusual with audio equipment), I
am looking at the current LMS software becoming incompatible with pretty
much any environment that may be out there.

So the easiest option is prolly to get 2 low spec servers, configure
them with compatible OS that works here and now (Ubuntu 12.04), disable
updates, and keep them ready for the eventuality.

For the next few years, I am running LMS on a dedicated virtual machine
on my system. That is a pretty elegant solution (anytime something acts
weird I can just delete the old VM and reload the original one within
minutes), but the question is at which point VMware Player or
Workstation will stop supporting an Ubuntu OS that supports the current
and final version of LMS. So I guess over the next few months I will
build 2 dedicated backup servers that I simply store up. I am sure even
in 15 years there will be a way to integrate IPv4 and 1GE into a home
network environment via some adapter.

Maybe there'll be some hot new tech that makes me listen to music
totally different, but looking at my traditional patterns I doubt such a
fundamental audio revolution will happen for audiophiles. Hence I want
to think about how to protect my SB environment.