pablolie wrote:
> While I am excited to see some plans about Open Source support for the
> platform, on the other hand I am pragmatic and I guess I want to start a
> thread on ideas and approaches on how to keep our SB investment going,
> longer term, in a constantly evolving OS environment.
>
> [snip]
>
> Maybe there'll be some hot new tech that makes me listen to music
> totally different, but looking at my traditional patterns I doubt such a
> fundamental audio revolution will happen for audiophiles. Hence I want
> to think about how to protect my SB environment.

I have a Western Digital My Book Live (actually, two of them, both the
1TB models) on which is installed LMS 7.8. It's running Debian 5.0.4. WD
offers updates, but those are installed at the option of the user. As
long as my Squeezebox hardware holds up, I can see myself happily
listening to music streamed from the MBL for many years. Is this what
you had in mind?