fathom39 Wrote:
> I am very impressed with skyrush's creativity, efforts, and results,
> especially the ssh-into-linux-box-under-the-seat via wireless and the
> future steering wheel controls project.  OK, here comes the but ...
> After thinking about how cool his in-dash unit was for a day or so I
> saw a Fry's ad for a 30 GB Zen mp3 player for about $150 after rebate.
> The legitmacy of using VBR mp3 audio for cars or head phones has been
> discussed and settled in the forums already.

In a way, yeah, it's overkill.  I mean, who needs a full-blown PC
connected by ethernet to a Squeezebox in the dash when there are
embedded solutions that are cheaper?  But still, it is awfully cool to
ssh to the Linux box under the seat!  ;)

Plus, I have a lot of freedom to make it work the way I want it to.
There is another device ("Omni" something or other) that has a wifi
solution to sync with the PC in the house, but I can imagine running
into road blocks with proprietary software, etc.  Hey, I just use the
standard Linux tools and scripts, and it works great!

And personally I ruled out portable solutions like Ipods (the Zen you
mention is portable, right?).  The basic reason is that that are
*portable*.  With a portable unit that interfaces to a car stereo,
there's always a chance the unit is in the house, in your backpack,
whatever.  I like the idea the the music will always be there in my
dash.  Strange reasoning, perhaps, but it works for me.

I've been having a blast with this - the sound is awesome!  And at
night, the glow of the SB2 display is pretty damn cool!

-Joe

--
skyrush