In an earlier thread, I had asked about building a "SB Touch"
replacement that would be purely a player streaming from an existing
NAS. After reviewing the options, I'm leaning more towards going with a
full SqueezePlug build to get around some limitations with the way the
NAS does server duty. My questions:

1) If I build a wi-fi equipped Raspberry Pi with SqueezePlug running
LMS, can I keep my music collection on the NAS and access it from the
Pi, or would I need it to be on a USB HD connected directly to the Pi?

2) If the latter, would the file system be common for the HD between
Windows and the Pi's Linux so that I could plug the drive into my PC,
copy new music files directly, then plug the drive back into the Pi and
run update to include the new files, or are they incompatible so that
I'd have to transfer such files over the network instead?  (If this
seems like an odd question, remember that I come from a time when there
were a multitude of personal computer platforms and OSes, and the only
thing you could count on would be total incompatibility in getting files
from a disk on one platform to one on another.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.