the nightfly wrote:
> True, but I might want to do a direct transfer the first time, since I'd
> be talking about more than 1 TB of files, which would go a lot faster
> over a USB connection than wi-fi.

Just be sure to format it with a file system which your computer can
read and you should be fine. If you are using Windows or OSX on your
computer, format it as FAT32 and it should work both when connected to
the Raspberry Pi and the computer. If it's only the initial copy of the
library this should work excellently. Transferring 1 TB over WiFi and
Samba is likely going to be a bit frustrating unless you have a really
good WiFi connection.

If you plan to do it regularly one possible issue is that I'm not sure
if SqueezePlug have any web user interface to disconnect the drive
safely, so you might have to log into the Raspberry Pi via SSH to
unmount it safely without risking to loose any files. Mostly it won't be
a problem, but there is always a risk to disconnect a drive from a
running system. Another possible issue is that LMS might not like if the
drive with music is disconnected while LMS is running. You are probably
fine as long as you aren't playing music or browsing the library while
the drive is disconnected, but this isn't always easy to control if you
have multiple remotes and smart phones with Squeezebox control apps.