1) keep the same enclosure size and get rid of one or more existing
connectors to have room for the eSATA connector.
2) choose a bigger box so there is room for the connector

#1:  Every connector on the back of this box has already been
vociferously fought for by it's proponents. No way am I going to
arbitrarily delete something. Those of you that want an eSATA connector
on the back, start horse trading. If everybody here can come to an
agreement as to which existing jacks get axed I'll do so. But do it
quickly, the design of the board is well under way.

#2: The chosen Hammond enclosure is already the widest one they have in
the series. It was chosen because it is widely available and
inexpensive. It meets the needs of full shielding, easy to assemble
(just slide in the board and screw in the front and back plate), easy to
customize a backplate for the connectors (just a flat plate), looks
fairly decent and comes in both natural aluminum color and black.
Anything else I can find that is wider costs way more, or is custom and
needs large numbers, or is much harder to assemble etc. Also note that
as the board grows in size it also gets more expensive.

If anyone can come up with an alternative enclosure that has similar
characteristics and is enough wider to support an eSATA jack, post it
here and I'll see if it will work.

John S.