mps wrote:
> Actually, I think the benefits could go beyond classical.

> I don't think the functionality would be that hard to implement, but the
> UI could be a challenge. Playlists would now be trees instead of lists,
> so you'd need a good widget for navigating into the
> work/album/sub-playlist.

I think we are talking about two things:
- An alternative way to groups tracks, since the normal ALBUM grouping
doesn't work for classical music. There are other cases where this might
be useful but for classical music it's quite common that you want a
different kind of grouping than how the pieces are combined on an album.

- A way to make playlists contain other stuff that tracks, this can be
useful for pop/rock also.

I won't promise anything at this stage, but your post definitely started
to make me think about how it could be done.

The real challenge here is that:
- It will never work for online streaming services, because their data
doesn't contain this kind of information
- It will never work if people are forced to use custom tags, because
most people only use the tags available as default in their tagging
software

The problem with this is that due to the above we can't rely on tagging
software and to make it work for streaming services we would need to
able to enhance the streaming service information with additional
metadata and barely none is going to be willing to maintain their own
data for content from streaming services. The SMD
(http://socialmusicdiscovery.org) project was intended to solve the
library maintenance part, but at the moment I've refocused on realizing
ickStream and the other contributors to SMD can't spare much time, so
SMD is currently more or less paused. I still want to re-activate SMD at
some time, but my personal feeling is that for it to work for most
users, users would have to be able to share their metadata in similar
fashion as they can do today with musicbrainz. If every user have to
enter the data manually, it's not going to be popular enough to make it
worthwhile to implement.

If all classical music fans would be able to agree on a tagging scheme
for classical music, we would at least have taken a first step towards
being able to convince the tagging software developers to add support
for it. If there was a standardized tagging scheme, it would be easier
to make a content server for local music that supported it. I know
musicbrainz has done some work to standardize metadata for classical
music (http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Classical_Music_FAQ) but I'm not sure
how the progress is.

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
You may also want to try my Android apps 'Squeeze Display'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.squeezedisplay)
and 'RSS Photo Show'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.rssphotoshow)
*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.