Labarum wrote:

> Google has just launched a new streaming system.
> Has anyone sight of the technical specs?
> Now it must handle Google Play's 320b/sec MP3, but hopefully will do
> much better, and if the stream can be routed to a decent DAC . . .
> The first hardware - the HDMI dongle - looks rather restricted, but
> maybe other hardwares will appear.

Information can be found 'here' (https://developers.google.com/cast/).
Very restricted system - no local streaming (audio only via Google
Music, video from Youtube etc. - you can't even send e.g. pictures from
your mobile/tablet), limited media support (e.g. no flac, xvid), only
HDMI output, Apps have to specifically support it, etc.
It might be possible to build an app to implement the missing
functionality, but I don't see the point in doing so - a regular android
stick (or even a Raspi) is much more versatile (and open), and basically
the same price....

[ extGUI4LMS - an alternative web interface: 'forum'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98186-Announce-Alternative-Web-Interface-(beta))
/ 'homepage' (http://code.google.com/p/extgui4lms/) ]