epoch1970 wrote:
> I don't think this has much to do with "memory".
> I surmise either:
> a - soft power off mode differs from cold power off in the network card
> status
> b - when the machine encounters a power failure event, somehow the bios
> gets zapped to a factory config that has the NIC disabled in power off
> mode
>
> I've seen b) happen, but typically this would require many power
> failures in a row (like a machine failing to boot a few times, and the
> bios rolling back to failsafe defaults). Or a dead battery on the
> motherboard (sensors should tell you that; or the date reported by the
> machine early in the boot process.)
> For me the most probable circumstance is a) and I would try 2 things:
> 1 - check there isn't a bios option to keep the network card active in
> cold off mode.
> 2 - change the power failure mode to "restart", and rely on the OS power
> management logic to bring the machine to soft-off again after a while.
>
> I would prefer option 1) to work, by a mile. Power events rarely come
> alone, it's probably better not to have the server get caught by a
> secondary power failure while it is checking its disk drive due to the
> 1st unexpected restart...
>
> (or perhaps you can get creative with the bios scheduled start feature
> --like: every day at 10pm--, depending of how it behaves when the
> machine is in soft-off mode, and how you can manipulate this setting
> from the booted OS...)

Yes I could not find such mode in the bios it's rather simplistic
compared to my desktop who has all sort of stuff for everything . Cold
of would mean some memory in prom or a battery there is no power so it
has to remeber somehow a pity there is no bios settingto remebr this .

The power modes are on,off and "current mode" (they chose another
wording that eludes me) ? the "current" selection mean that it would
return to the state it was in before the power failure .
That means if it was off it would return to be off (orange lligth on the
front NIC blinking ) but that apearently does not include listening for
wol, packages .

I rather live with as is it's really not a big problem ,actually having
multiple reboots could potentially be a bigger problem as you say .

But it satifies curiusity as why its happens , so less of a mystery most
of my wol dysfunctions comes down to this , and it happens a couple of
tiḿes on a year :) so it's not really worth to pursiut actively .
I collect information and keep an Eye on it .

There are bois mods but not target this issue .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)