I believe this happens if the artwork is present when the related albums
view is displayed but gets purged from the memory cache before the lower
level album menu gets loaded.
It's especially problematic if the artwork loader queue is stuck or very
busy in which case it can time out and never really show up.
This is why flushing the cache is very wrong (because then all artwork
gets purged even from the flash cache and will take even longer to
recreate) and why I recommended restarting the App (which makes sure
there's no artwork being loaded).

It probably happens more often in the latest update because iPeng 7.0.1
loads artwork primarily in the background to speed up scrolling. It's
usually especially bad if artwork still needs to be created on the
server side or at least loaded from the server because that will keep
the artwork queue more busy.

I'll see whether I can do some better optimizations in the next release
but it's generally a tricky tradeoff between performance, server load
generation and assured artwork access.
The problem is, the only way to guarantee artwork availability without
any cost is to use the 50x50 images the server will always have
available but they are, well, about the size of iPeng's power button on
a retina screen. Not really worthwhile.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7*