Viventis wrote:
> I am not yet a Sonos expert.  I do know that you can select a song from
> any source as a Sonos favorite and select among favorite playlists.

I purchased a sonos connect recently as a backup in case we lost
SiriusXM (my wife is addicted to certain XM pbs news channels so I
didn't want to lose this for even a day or two!) and just to play with
it so I could have first hand knowledge. I knew it wouldn't work for my
actual music library given its library size limitation and some of the
artwork size limits.  Just playing with it, it is very restricted and
simple as compared with squeezeboxes. That's probably just fine for some
users.  Anyhow, the answer to your question is NO, there is nothing even
remotely like dynamic playlists or smartmix on the sonos. You can create
a playlist yourself and randomly play from that playlist. But that's
very different from the cool stuff we get from dynamic playlists and
smartmix.

Only played with it a bit after setup to see how things work. I can see
that Sonos is probably just fine for someone who listens to mostly music
services and has a small local library. smart phone and computer remote
has very few options.  Other than playing albums, playing playlists, and
playing music services, telling it to scrobble to last.fm or not, and
selecting songs and changing volume, it won't do anything else. Of
course those things are fine for many users.   I was a bit frustrated
because of the way it deals with replaygain values. Seems to only handle
track RG value as far as I can tell and from looking in on their forum.

For me, the sonos would be fine for internet radio/services but not my
own music.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.7.2 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S (iPeng), iPad2 (iPengHD & SqueezePad),
CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify