pippin wrote:
> Again: the "caching" message has nothing to do with artwork!
>
> This is clearly your server creating artwork thumbnails for iPeng 7.
> iPeng 2 used 150x150 thumbnails on everything. iPeng 7 still does so on
> iPad 2 because it doesn't have a retina screen. Your server created
> these thumbnails long ago so using them is fast.
>
> iPeng 7 on the iPhone 4S (actually on anything but iPad 2 and non-retina
> iPad mini) now uses 300x300px thumbnails which need to be created. They
> are being created whenever they are first used, not during "caching",
> that's what iPeng 1.0 did back in the days and it got a lot of servers
> down on their knees.

Aha. that explains it.And also explains why going back to same artist,
album listing is much faster. I use recent 7.8 but haven't done a clear
and rescan in a long while. I'll have to try that too.  I don't know if
it had any effect that I am using ipeng7 on two different servers (two
different locations) and it seems to be slower when I move to the
current server after being on the old one.  And one server was 7.7.2
until recently (and not 7.8).  Now both are same version of 7.8.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify