TheLastMan wrote:
> Yes, I had looked at the NUC, and other similar mini-computers - but
> dismissed them mainly thanks to Steen and his brilliant (and free!)
> piCorePlayer Linux distro for Squeezebox.
>
> I have just built a complete Squeezebox "Player" from a Raspberry Pi
> based on this for £60 ($90) including case, SD card, wi-fi dongle, power
> supply and audio cables.  One major advantage of this setup is that
> piCorePlayer is pre-configured to get audio out of a Raspberry Pi - and
> nothing else.  This means that it took about 10 minutes to build and 10
> minutes to set up.  An absolute doddle. If I want to make it "hi-fi"
> there are now supported I2S DACs and digital out cards (to supply an
> external DAC) that can be attached for another $50 or so.  You can also
> go down the slightly more fiddly route of a USB DAC but support for that
> is rather more hit and miss.
>
> Once you have it running, it is quite possible to adopt the "if it ain't
> broke don't fix it" maxim and just leave it to play the music.  I find
> that if I don't fiddle with stuff that I rarely need to "troubleshoot".
>
> Remember a NUC does not come with memory, storage or an operating
> system.  I am assuming you are not au-faix with setting up your own
> Linux installations and will therefore need to buy a copy of Windows.
> That, of course, will need a sizeable hard drive for the OS
> (piCorePlayer fits on a single 1GB SD card!).  I reckon, with Windows,
> you will not get much change from $400.  Of course the resulting
> computer will be capable of very much more than piCorePlayer on a RPi.
> You could use it as an LMS server and/or the hub of a complete media
> center if you wanted, so it really does depend on what you need it for.
>
> With the other options made available at the moment, a NUC is complete
> over-kill for a simple player.  If, like me, you just need a couple more
> "headless" players like the Receiver then the RPi running piCorePlayer
> is just the job.

All very good points!  I was thinking I could get into a NUC (incl
memory, small SSD, Linux etc.) for under $250.  But, as you stated, it
borders on overkill.

I am still very much interested in a Hifiberry + SPDIF card + proper
case + piCorePlayer, however I am in the US, so I couldn't find any
easy/cheap way to get all three shipped to me.