I thought I'd confirm that Olive are slowly starting to send out units
to Indiegogo backers and that I received mine in Australia last week.
Olive are being tight lipped about how many units have been shipped but
they are asking those who have got a unit to post their experiences on
Zendesk.

At some stage they moved manufacture to Taiwan (they originally claimed
it would made in the US) and ran into major problems with the casting of
the aluminium case.
My feeling is they became swamped with manufacturing off shore which has
lead to lengthy delays and they didn't want to admit this to
increasingly frustrated backers who had provided over half a million
dollars for development. Instead they made more and more (inevitably
broken) promises about imminent shipment.

The player itself is a pretty good unit, much more premium feeling than
a Squeezebox (I had two original slim devices and a later Logitech duo)
but it isn't a patch on the flexibility, usability and user friendliness
of the Squeezebox so far.
Olive have promised to release an open SDK  'some time in the future'
which might improve things if they can get enough momentum going. They
have also been regularly updating the SW and slowly it is becoming more
useful. They have also asked owners for feature requests - time will
tell if they all get implemented but a few have so far.

If Olive can survive this experiment in crowd funding, they might just
end up with a really good product but they'll need the support of their
customers and they have pissed off a lot of them already.