dryden555 wrote:

And I'm told I am being too negative!  Non-techies are not to
generalized as "people who suck." You're actually supporting my point
that this forum has a way of programatically alienating non-developers.

You're misunderstanding me and applying your own agenda to my statement. "People suck" does not mean "Non-techies are people who suck", it means that human beings are continually driven to push their toys past breaking point and then cry to the skies that the toy is broken. I am people, and I suck. So do you. If you meet someone perfect, join their monastery and hope to learn, but I can promise you there won't be any computers or Squeezeboxen in there. Why not? Because computers suck. As our first attempt at recreating ourselves, they are an excellent example of why we suck: flexible, general purpose systems designed through the time-honored bandaid accretion methodology, and then asked to perform like a Platonic ideal at seventeen million different functions at once. The marvel is that they work at all, not that they suck.

Anyway, I want to thank M Wagner again for helping me with the
suggestion to revert to 5.4.1. That worked perfectly with my sb1. Listening to it right now.

If you browse the archives back to the release of 5.4.1 you can read this same argument there. But now it's a paragon of stability because it works for your use case.

Honestly I was completely ready to give up on my sb1 after several
versions of the software had bugs in the standard functionality of the
device. This isn't just about ver 6.2. I hope someone within the
company is reading my posts as a substantive sign that many consumers
dont have time for bug reports, re-installing and forum posts.

"your average consumer"

The forums are diligently read and replied to by SDI's fine owners, who are much more positive in outlook than me -- let's all hope they stay that way :)

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin