Squeezemenicely wrote:
> I do wonder now, if the community has actually produced a better product
> than there was ever available before.
>
> On one hand we have the Touch - ignoring the Display - i ask myself if
> the following is not actually the better player:
>
> Raspberry + Hifiberry Digi (the S/PDIF Version) or the DAC +
> Picoreplayer
>
> Especially if you is feed the signal into your favourite DAC, I guess
> the homemade version has more audio options and should in fact be the
> "better" Touch/Receiver.
> Even sync should be ok.
>
> Pretty amazing what our little community has put together.
>
> What are your thoughts on this? Does the Hifiberry DAC version also
> sound better than the Touch?
> I am still waiting for my Hifiberry Digi version and really wondering if
> I should substitute my Touch with it.

I find that I rarely use the screen on my Touch, either to control music
play or to see what's playing. I usually use Squeezepad or iPeng on an
iPad or the web interface on a laptop. I have a couple of Raspberry Pi
model B, one with a HiFiBerry DAC. At the moment however, I'm running
them through external DACs connected via USB (one is a DACMagic 100 -
and on to my HiFi, the other is a Cambridge Audio Headphone DAC/amp).
They sound great to me - I originally set them up as insurance against
my SBT and SB3 breaking.

Robert

Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar
3 and Naim CD3)
2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3
SqueezePad, iPeng, Squeezeplay, piCorePlayer/HiFiBerry,
piCorePlayer>DacMagic XS
QNAP TS-239, LMS 7.9
last.fm/user/GrumpyBob