For the record I was trying Tidals 320kps aac stream to their own Hifi
one and not to other services and could not tell the difference at all
which may be a good or a bad thing depending on your point of view.
Paying £20 per month I expect a major difference from compressed to
lossless.

I have compared it with Spotify and there is a difference  not massive
though. I do find that Spotify always sounds different to everything
else. I prefer to use Google Play these days as its recommendations and
random playlists are so much better. Also I think it sounds better than
spotify, cant compare to tidal now as sub has expired.  I just think for
most listening Google suffices and is a good price considering it can
house 20000 of my own songs as well. Tidal is just too much to pay for
not enough difference.

I also test my own compressed files to the originals and lossless
encodes and cant really discern a difference. May be years of going to
loud gigs and age have taken there toll on my hearing.