I was recently looking at options as a friend was thinking about Sonos
and I was trying to see if there was a nice squeezebox alternative that
might save him some money.

In the end the Sonos worked out to be the best option for him, but the
best I could come up with was:

Aktimate Micro powered speakers (http://www.aktimate.com.au/micro.html)
and a Raspberry Pi with PiCorePlayer and a usb wifi dongle. The
Aktimates have a built in DAC (PCM2704 I believe so nothing special but
better than Raspberry Pi analog out), so usb cable from the speaker to
the Pi and should be able to power the Pi from the built in iPod dock
(30 pin) with an adapter. So a one power point solution, even if it
would be a bit of a pain to move around compared to Sonos. As
PiCorePlayer runs in memory you don't have to worry about clean
shutdowns.

There is also the Akitmate Mini+ which are bigger and more expensive and
have no cheap built in DAC, so if using with a Raspberry Pi you would
need a DAC. They apparently sound much better but they would be much
heavier to move.

Of course an old iDevice or Android could be used in place of the
Raspberry Pi if you already had one.

Ben