cliveb wrote:
> When it's played on a legacy device without the decoder, stuff is
> "missing". That's lossy in my book.
Using your definition doesn't that include all digital audio systems
known to date. The CD system is based on samples of an analog sound that
is "sampled" at a defined rate and then the original sound is
reconstructed at playback by a DAC that inserts misssing bits to
complete the reconstruction? Sounds Lossy to me?

I think it is early days and we all be able to evaluate MQA over time
and decide for ourselves if it represents a breakthrough.