I've not researched this _at all_ and I'm sure I could find the answers
on Google within a few mins.  But just wanted to get some opinions from
some audiophiles...

I've always used MP3, and on my cheap-ass stereo it sounds fine.
Personally, I actually thought MP3 was fine so long as you went for a
higher quality (e.g. 320kbps vs 92kbps - I normally use 160 due as a
trade-off between filesize and quality).  But I only just realised from
reading the mailing list that FLAC is superior to MP3.

So FLAC is lossless?  And MP3 is lossy?  Can you encode to FLAC with
different levels of quality in the same way as with MP3?  (e.g. will a
320kbps MP3 be better than a low quality FLAC, or doesn't it work like
that?)

I've never used FLAC before, but wondering if I should start re-ripping
my music collection...  Clearly it wouldn't make a difference right now
but it would benefit me once I get round to getting a proper stereo
system...

Cheers!
Dan.