On 11/8/05, oreillymj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I'd like to remove a
lot of the duplicate tracks in my collection and only have 1 copy of
each file. But I'd also like to have a virtual copy of certain tracks
in my collection.
I know I can achieve kind of what I want with playlists, but not
exactly.

This has been discussed previously -- it pretty much devolved into a two bitterly divided camps. Check the archives and you can relive the fun.

There are technical problems beyond the tagging issues -- for example often the tracks themselves have been remastered on these types of collections.  Normally the tracks are *at least* volume normalized so while you may think the tracks are identical, they in fact are not.  Disk space is cheap... really cheap!  The effort it would take to do this properly just makes it not worth the effort for most people.  Certainly I would HOPE that SlimDevices has better things to spend their time on.

Ben