garym wrote:
>  I might as well be speaking a foreign language to them when I try to
> explain.

You are absolutely right - we're now the weirdos. When I was young, more
than almost anything else that you could do with your clothes on, I
wanted near perfect sound reproduction, even though it was unachievable.
Nonetheless, I spent a relative fortune trying. Now that it's within
anyone's grasp for a relatively small outlay, most folk don't give a
damn. When I see folk playing music out of the "speakers" of a
smartphone I am absolutely dumbfounded. When folks come into my lounge
and see a pair of Quad electrostatics sitting atop a pair of matching
Gradient sub-woofers, they are, well, absolutely dumbfounded.

It's a funny old world - but it belongs to them now, not us.