Well, I could suggest a number of Apple products that actually work but
you don't want these, too, so what shall I say...
It's as it is. You can ask Spotify to open up Spotify Connect but I'm
not even sure they could do this if they wanted which they clearly
don't. It would also probably have to go into the player which means a
firmware change and a quite significant one given the way Spotify
Connect works (it syncs everything you do with a backend, it's a bit
like MySqueezebox.com without LMS and with local syncing), it would
essentially mean the whole SqueezePlay would have to be replaced by a
Connect Applet or something while you are using Spotify. I also don't I
know whether the Touch and Radio have enough oomph to run that, all
other devices definitely do not.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*