Atlantic wrote:
> So, if you only need to access your LMS Web UI, you can do that from
> your work computer's browser, using port 443.  Port 443 will not be
> blocked.
>
> eg: http://[your url if you have a suitable DNS record, or your IP
> address]:443
>
> You will ALSO need to set up your router at your home to forward port
> 443 onto [your LMS server's IP address], port 9000 .
>
> regards, Atlantic
Atlantic; a very belated thank you!

A short note on how I got this to work if anybody else is having similar
issues:

After an awful lot of Googling I eventually found out what you were
talking about.  This process is achieved using one of two methods;
1. Port Address Translation or PAT.  This allows you to use several port
numbers as a proxies for the one that the server is listening on.  The
proxy ports are known as "origin" ports and the port that the server is
listening on is known as the "destination" port.  In this case I could
use 443 as the "origin" and 9000 as the "destination".

2. Virtual Server.  This is a simple extension of Port Forwarding that
allows the incoming port number to be different from the port number the
server is listening on.  This means doing two separate port forward
entries:
[external ip]:9000 -> [internal ip]:9000
[external ip]:443   -> [internal ip]:9000

My rather ancient Netgear DG834GT router allowed Port Forwarding but did
not have a Virtual Server function or PAT available in the firmware.  So
I bought a new router that had a Virtual Server setup.  That took quite
a bit of time as it involved downloading a lot of instruction manuals as
this is not often listed as a "feature" in the specifications of most
routers sold to the general public.

Anyway, the new router came with a host of other improvements, such as
much faster wi-fi and better stability, so it was worth doing even
without making remote LMS work.

Like most computer stuff it is "simple when you know how" - it is
finding the "know how" that is difficult!

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
SQUEEZEBOXES:[/B] TWO SB DUETS (LIVING ROOM AND KITCHEN) AND A
*'PICOREPLAYER' (HTTPS://SITES.GOOGLE.COM/SITE/PICOREPLAYER/HOME)
[b]Server:* Raspberry PI 2B with Squeezeplug & LMS 7.8.  Music stored on
Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
access point
*Livingroom:* Receiver, Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:*piCorePlayer, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline