bpa wrote:
> Vendors call their proprietary technologies "standard" as a marketing
> ploy - but they are weapons. Open standards do not help vendors as
> customer can move away from their tech - Apple created their codecs such
> as ALAC, AIFF and don't support Flac.  MS created WMA, WMA Lossles etc.
> Vnedors do not like or want Open standards - only when customer demand
> it by buying other products wuill they implemen an open standards.  uPNP
> was nearly reasonable but DLNA "standardised" it by minimising
> functionality so there was still room for proprietary stuff.
>
> A long time ago - a email standard was created X.400 - it had built in
> standardised (i.e. not vendor specific) authentication, encrytpion and
> nonrepudiation. It has all the facilities that people need now but
> vendors saw a system that would compete against their Outlook/Lotus
> Notes/cc:mail etc. so the vendors  X.400 implementations (required by
> govts) were slow, clunky and cumbersome and vendors "persuaded"
> companies & people to use their proprietary systems by making sure their
> systems were quick, slick and flashy.

To me its like a sub-optimisation like why trees are wasting energy to
grow higher (so that they get the sunlight from another tree ) instead
of just decide on a reasonable height . In many system optimum and
stability are not a the same place .

It is true that vendor look in is a strategy to earn more money . Apple
are the masters of it . M$ was good in thier time in the late 90's .
Apple , iTunes is so big that it basically crushes several market
segments .

Just thinking the actual market for streaming solutions would have been
much bigger much earlier without all the vendor look in and thus made
more money for everyone including the "winners" of the current state .

sometimes they see that like the USB cable or 4-8 ohm speakers .
sometimes not ,like apples silly plugs on thier phone and pads (whats
wrong with micro USB)

Oh yes the file format mess in all kinds of applications , from music
mail and wordprocessing  . Working at a multinational corp I'm familiar
with notes (yuk) and M$ product and our own license shemes for our own
proprietary control software

But i stop my tread drift here I'm spamming the tread sorry , but this
discussion is basically endless and BPA has good insigths .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )