Mnyb wrote:
> Considering it's a portabel device , make the server transcode the
> tracks to 256k AAC or MP3 before storting them on the phone .
> So then the player only needs to support one format .

Well, that's not what everybody expects. Some people expect to be able
to play the lossless formats directly. Which is actually easier to do.
Also: the server can not transcode to AAC, only mp3 and that doesn't
work on probably >50% of the server installations, too.

> I would not expect to play my only DSD file natively ;)

Actually I plan to add that anyway :)

> Yes a great deal of the meny system is server generated almost all of it
> ? It's not that obvious to us non programmers .
> And it scales and provides artwork of the rigth sizes etc .

All metadata (title, artist, album,...)
It does 100% of the playback control, too.
Setting up streams, play/pause/shuffle/replay gain/fade/.... too.

> But just to generate artist and album and genre menus locally on the
> phone etc ... I can imagine that some simplification is needed what
> about search ? probably not .

That's a big issue. Actually I do have a nice idea how that could be
done locally in a limited way but then people will ask to be able to
search from context menus, they're going to want BMF, and and and. I
know what people prioritize, it's something else for everyone,
expectations are high and diverse.

> The now playing list , that one is also server generated ? You have to
> make local version of that to .

It's not only server "generated", it lives on the server. What you see
in the App is part of the relevant information for display purposes but
the list itself can't even be fully exported because it's essentially
links to the actual elements. Then there can be offline tracks for which
you only have a URL and so on...

> I can start to see why you haven't done this . I though about for 5
> minutes and potential issues comes up faster tag I can type !
Bingo :)

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*