JerryS wrote:
> Your post gives me the courage to confess to an act of stupidity which
> may serve as a warning to others.  Initiating a Grsync backup session
> before switching on the machine containing the files to be backed up,
> does exactly what you say, very fast....  catastrophic deletion of files
> from the back up disk...... Doh.......

Been there!  My main rsync job (the #1 backup) is wrapped in a Perl
script that counts directories on the source drive and doesn't do
anything if nothing is found.

I haven't found this to be an issue since putting everything under
Ubuntu, but it bit me pretty hard once when I was doing file sharing
under Windows.  Both Vista and 7 had a nasty habit of deciding they
didn't want to share any more...